Friday, March 8, 2013

This Week in Practice

Getting on the mat this week has been tough.  I kept thinking, "I could practice, but I could really use a nap instead."

I'm happy to report that I managed to overcome my metal resistance on each and every day of the week.  Some days I just forced myself to get in the car and start driving to class.  For home practice days, I like to play a little game with myself where I promise myself that I only have to do 5 Surya A's and a handful of B's and then I can do the 3 closing postures and Savasana.  That trick has never failed me.  My practice that day turned into a really beautiful 2 hour, 5 minute expression of joy.  Starting is truly the hardest part sometimes.

Yesterday, however, even starting wasn't that great.  Do you ever have one of those days when you get to your mat and you're feeling pretty good and everything seems great and then you start moving and it's as if your limbs are filled with lead?  That was me yesterday.  Just no gas in the tank - for whatever reason.  Then I got oddly emotional at the end of class, which rarely happens to me.

I'm trying to be really compassionate with myself because obviously I'm working through some things.  Accepting whatever shows up on the mat on any given day is paramount to yoga, I think.  We can't just muscle through everything.  It's important to be receptive to the fact that you might be one person one day and a different person the next.  Yoga requires strength and softness - all at the same time.

5 comments:

  1. I'm posting this on behalf of Globie from "The Journey of My Practice"...
    ********************
    I find going to a Shala to practice makes it much easier to get on the mat, however reticent my mind and body seem. A teacher once told me never to get on the mat with expectations, maybe you won't do something you did last time, but then maybe you will do something you couldn't last time.

    As week goes on I seem to get stronger, then suddenly it's like falling off the top of the hill, towards the end of the week it goes off and what was (relatively ) easy the day before is suddenly oh so hard. It is what it is.

    ******************
    It seems he tried to comment and couldn't. The horror! Has anyone else run into trouble while trying to comment? If you do and you could email me, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. It's such an inspiration. It's keeping my practice in perspective. Thank you Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting my comment I emailed. Really enjoying reading along with you.
    Seems ok commenting from a PC, instead of Ipad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you wrote about how accepting whatever shows up on the mat on any given day is paramount to yoga....seems like that is so applicable to life in general as well! That thought helped me today. That, and also the reminder that we can't "muscle through everything." So true! And don't I try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a lot of parallels between "the mat" and real life. Ultimately, yoga is meant to encompass the later so it's appropriate, I think! :)

      Delete