Monday, May 20, 2013

At Long Last... Machu Picchu!



After two rounds of different antibiotics, I'm *FINALLY* feeling like myself again.  Thank goodness!  That gastrointestinal bug was NOT fun.  Of course given my IBS and generally sensitive gut, I knew I would be susceptible.  Still, I never imagined anything like this!  I'm just feeling immensely thankful to be mostly recovered now and able to eat and drink water again.  I had my first home practice since returning to California this morning and it was a lovely 2 hour and 15 minute expression of gratitude for my body's ability to heal.

And now without further ado, I give you Machu Picchu!....


The day broke with a heavy mist
due to the downpour during the night before.  
The town of Aguascalientes at the base of the mountain
felt hushed and eerie.

But luck was on our side because the thick fog lifted
just as we entered the site...


(I was really, really sick this day and all of the days following,
so bear that in mind when you look at these photos.)



Steve and I hiked two hours up to the Gate of the Sun.  
This is were the infamous Inca Trail connects trekkers to Machu Picchu. 



That hairpin road to my left is the narrow path the buses take
to carry you from Aguascalientes to the base of Machu Pichhu.
You can see the Machu Picchu site in the distance.

The views were breathtakingly spectacular!



The tall mountain behind the Machu Picchu site it Huayna Picchu.  That's a separate, more fear-inducing hike.  Perhaps you can see the steps and the people at the top?  Steve and I opted for the Gate of the Sun this time.  Perhaps next time we'll tackle Huayna Picchu.

And now, once again, I'll allow the photos to do the rest of the talking.
But believe me when I say this... they don't do it justice.

Not. At. All.





 









This day was one I will carry in my heart for the rest of my life.  I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything in nature more beautiful than this.  Standing in Machu Picchu proper and looking out at the mountaintops while clouds floated by at eye level - I can't even find the words.  Machu Picchu has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to experience it in person.  What a gift.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to realise your dream and visit Machu Picchu despite the sickness. Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete