Friday, May 24, 2013

This Week in Practice

Practice this week has felt heavy and sluggish.  It's no surprise why...  After spending 12 days not being able to eat or drink much of anything, imagine my exuberance when I finally could!  Without going into detail, let's just say that it got ugly.  Once I started to feel "normal" again, I sort of approached my diet with a no-holds-barred attitude.  Not good.  Of course, my practice has reflected that.

The good news is that I'm feeling renewed focus and commitment this morning.  Prior to traveling to Peru, I've been working really hard to shed some weight and I lost a full 10 pounds.  Yay, me!  Whilst sick, I lost another 5 but subsequently gained that back this past week.  I'm still down the initial 10 though and feel ready to keep going.  Needless to say, the 10-pound drop in my weight has made a HUGE difference in my practice.  For example, I'm close to getting my jump through in one movement and I was able to bind by myself in Marichyasana B for the first time.  I also saw my doctor right before we left and I'm now firmly OUT of the pre-diabetic range.  Yay, again, for me!!

Perhaps you'd like to know what I changed in order to achieve that weight loss?  Well, I refuse to "diet".  I'm never going down that road again.  Instead, I've done my best to eliminate white carbs wherever and whenever possible.   I also reduced my portion sizes and focused on healthier snacks like fruit and nuts.  Steve and I substituted shakes for dinner approximately three times per week as opposed to going out.  Most of the time, we enjoy fruit shakes with bananas, spinach, kale, frozen strawberries, blueberries, and peaches with a protein powder and green superfood powder added (plus ice).  Occasionally, I'll make a chocolate peanut butter shake that tastes just like a decadent milk shake.  For that I use bananas, peanut butter, a few spoonfuls of Starbucks mocha powder, and almond milk (plus ice).  It's divine.

I hope you all enjoy the Memorial Day holiday this weekend!  I'll post my Peru wrap-up sometime next week so stay tuned for that...

2 comments:

  1. congrats on binding in mari B :) so cool!

    weight loss is such a delicate subject, especially for women who want to stand above society's pressure but for ashtanga it definitely helps having a flatter belly. working on that myself without trying to 'diet' (haha i just ate a bag of maltesers though)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that post of yours, Tanja, and I can totally relate! Thanks to yoga though - for the first time in my life - I'm approaching weight loss with a completely different mindset. It's about being healthy, making my practice feel light and good, feeling good in my skin, etc. etc. versus just the number on the scale. Thanks for sharing your journey, too!

      Delete