Friday, July 19, 2013

The Best Laid Plans

So I'm going to be completely honest with you here.  The cleanse didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped.  Day 1 was great.  Day 2 (just fruits, vegetables, and juice) was okay.  As time passed, my IBS tummy became less and less happy without any carbs to soothe it.  By dinner time on Day 2, my stomach was in such knots that I just couldn't take it anymore.  We decided to have some white rice and fish and then I was fine.  Because I firmly believe that ahimsa (non-harming) applies not only to others but to ourselves as well, I decided not to do any more harm to my body and just go back to eating "cleanly" (whole, organic, unprocessed foods as often as possible).

In some ways I feel like I failed but I'm also more sure than ever that everyone's constitutions are not the same.  What works for one - or many - might not necessarily work for me.  So be it.  I try to limit my carbs and choose wheat over white as often as my tummy will allow, but I do feel best when I am consuming some sort of carbohydrate on a daily basis.  There you have it.  I'm a yoga rebel.

Practice this week has been a nice mix of Ashtanga and a good variety Vinyasa Flow classes.  I made a list of all the poses I want to work on at the moment and during home practice this morning, I did just that.  I sequenced these challenge poses in between vinyasas and a few Warrior 1's, 2's, Triangle poses, and Side Angle poses.  My entire practice took 2 hours but it was really playful and I felt like I made some good progress.

Chakrasana (rolling back somersault) and Eka Pada Galavasana (flying crow pose) top the list of poses I'm currently working on.  For Chakrasana, I've developed a bad habit of rolling over my left shoulder and I sort of crank my neck to the side and out of the way.  I land on my mat and it's in control, but I know it's not the correct execution.  This morning, I moved my rug to our cushy carpet and I was able to get it right a good number of times from seated.  I tried it once from a supine position and I don't think the momentum's the same so that attempt wasn't as successful.  Still, I can feel in my body how it's supposed to happen now so I don't think it will be long before I'm doing it the right way on my mat.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  there really is nothing as valuable as having a home practice.  I was chatting with a fellow yogi from the studio yesterday and she was complaining because our instructor only gave us a brief window - maybe 20 seconds? - to try for the peak pose during the sequence in class.  She lamented that it would probably be another three months before any teacher would include that pose in their routine again.  Subsequently, it would be that long before she would get the opportunity to tackle it again.

I've urged this particular person before to try working on things at home but she shuts down and refuses.  It makes me sad because I know how much richness my time at home on the mat has brought to my practice as a whole.  But like I said at the beginning, everyone's on their own journey and everyone's constitutions are NOT the same.  I'm just grateful to be where I am.

1 comment:

  1. I think the practice at home issue depends on if you have easy access to a teacher and Shala. Those of us that don't have been forced into home practice, where as I know people who only practice at a Shala and despite being like the yogi you describe seem to be missing out on so much by not practising at home.

    ReplyDelete