Saturday, August 3, 2013

Bits of This and That

This summer seems to be slipping through my fingers.  Can it truly be that the last time I posted was July 19?  Now we are firmly into August.  Where did the rest of that month go?

Part of it, I know, went to Teacher Training.  Our last intensive weekend focused on Surya Namaskara.  Thanks to Ashtanga, SNA and SNB are two sequences I feel infinitely comfortable with.  Surya Namaskara C, on the other hand, is a whole different monkey.  I'm still not sure what to make of it.  Just now I tried to do a quick search to find something worthy to link to with regard to C, but I'm not finding anything that suits me.  There are a few that get the gist of it, but I'm not finding many that explain the knees-chest-chin component that well.  Nor the return through that to Downward-Facing Dog.  I'll keep looking and get back to you. 

I also had a birthday during the later part of July and I think that usurped some of my sense of "time as plentiful", too.  43 now, thank you very much.  I'm really proud that I am still making gains every day in my practice.  I've heard other yogis and yoginis talk about the 40's and 50's as being too old to start.  WTF?  Glad I'm too old to believe them.  They're probably all 20-year-olds anyway, so what do they know.

I'm feeling sassy today, can you tell?

I swear, I've started a million blog posts in my head and I just haven't had the moments I need to sit down and hammer them out on the computer.  I plan to do better though.  This post is sort of all over the place, but you'll forgive me for that, I know.

I was working on my TT reading homework yesterday, "Light on Yoga" by Iyengar.  In the introduction, he claims the Siva Samhita breaks down yoga pupils into four classes:  feeble, average, superior, and the supreme one.  If I classify myself as a feeble seeker, Iyengar claims I can reach enlightenment in 12 years.  Cool.  And who knows?  Maybe I'm even "average"?  He doesn't give a time limit for the average peeps but he does say the superior ones can get there in 6 years.  So (giving myself a little credit) maybe if I'm average, I could hope for 9 years or so.? Thanks.  Glad we cleared that up.  I like well-defined goals when I strive for samadhi.

I think that's enough for a Saturday afternoon.  Tomorrow I'm taking the day off from practice and we're treating Bentley to a day at the beach.  I'll take pictures.  And it couldn't come at a better time, either.  I've been practicing for about a week and a half straight and I'm starting to feel achey.  My joints need the break.

Oh!  Good news, too!  I'm going to be traveling to London soon to take a series of workshops with Kino at TriYoga.  I cannot wait!  For sure I'll be posting about that, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment