Saturday, August 10, 2013

This Week in Practice

I had a good week of practice.  No major breakthroughs but things felt consistently solid and strong.  That's a good place to be when staring down an intensive three days with Kino.  Have I mentioned I can't wait?!?!

I'm getting so close to balancing in Pincha Mayurasana (forearm stand).  I think once I'm able to do that then balance in Handstand will follow.  I know I need to move away from the wall, but I haven't yet made the shift.  I have such a fear of falling over into a backbend, which is sort of ironic considering backbends are among my favorite poses.  The fear, I know, comes from an early attempt about a year ago to balance in the middle of the room.  I was using a strap around my arms at the time and when I felt myself going over, I sort of bailed out sideways.  The problem was that the strap prevented my arms from rotating with me and I managed to wrench my shoulder really badly.  I no longer practice with a strap but the fear persists.  Maybe I'll give it a go outside.  Something about the soft green grass feels more comforting if I should fall.

The other pose I continue to work on is Chakrasana (rolling back somersault).  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I manage a version of Chakrasana by bending my neck to the side while I roll over the opposite shoulder.  I've done it the correct way from sitting but I know I'm not using enough of my arm strength to get me up and over.  Without arm strength, the neck definitely bears too much weight and that's not a good thing.  The other difficulty with Chakrasana is that it's hard to break it down and do in slow-motion.  Again, maybe the lawn is my answer while I work out the specifics.

I found this video from Kino about building up to the full pose.  I'll be darned if her model doesn't make it look effortless in slow-motion.  Why are my attempts nowhere near that?


Alas, I'll keep trying.  All things worth having are worth working for.  I'll be immersed in Teacher Training all day today and tomorrow.  This weekend's focus is Inversions.  Yay!  It should be a fun...

5 comments:

  1. look at your chest as you roll over. this should begin to straighten out your neck and the path over..reading your post, i think i tend to do the same thing- i favor one side and list to the right when i land. i only discovered the drishte thing recently, and it helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this tip, Suzanne! I will try this. Thanks for your following suggestion, too. I'll let you know how it goes...

      Delete
  2. oh, and it can also help -when doing this after shoulderstand sequence..to keep the legs up after uttana padasana..keeps the bandhas working..and will make the rolling over easier. really :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with Chakorasana, I can never go back level and am always lop sided. I don't think it's so much about strength, but more about momentum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some weird way it makes me feel better to know other Ashtangis have to work things out, too. Thanks, Kevin!

      Delete