Sunday, September 15, 2013

This and That

Whoa, how did it get to be the middle of September already?...

I keep meaning to post.  I've composed several in my head but then the day just sort of gets away from me and before I know it, I'm flopping exhausted into bed.

This weekend is another Teacher Training weekend.  Our focus yesterday was Urdhva Dhanurasana and today it's Teaching Beginners.  The training program is still a challenge in terms of the workload, but I seem to have settled into a nice rhythm with it.  It's not as overwhelming as it was at the beginning.  Plus, the information seems to be moving past the "sinking in" phase and is now in the "taking hold" phase.  That's comforting - to know and feel like I'm getting it.

My own practice is steadily plugging along.  My outside commitments have increased greatly these past couple of weeks (hence, the MIA status from the blog).  But even in spite of the extra stuff I have to juggle, I'm finding time to practice.  That's comforting, too - knowing that yoga is so important to me that I'm willing to shift what I have to in order to make it onto the mat.  Even if my preferred time to practice is no longer an option, I'm still figuring it all out.  I guess that's the test.  Practice when you have the luxury of time is one thing; fitting it in when you don't is another, right?

I've also led Steve in two home practices now.  The first was rocky.  I felt like I couldn't translate what was in my head into words fast enough.  The result was a weird and awkward delivery with long pauses while I tried to figure out what was next.  But then I lead him again this morning and things progressed much more smoothly.  I was able to communicate what I wanted to and I didn't just repeat the same three points of alignment over and over again.  His feedback has been really valuable to me and I so appreciate his willingness to be my guinea pig while I find my teaching voice.  It isn't easy.  I taught aerobics for many years in my 20's and early 30's and while there are some similarities to yoga, there are infinitely more differences.  For example, it's really difficult to lead someone through a practice without doing it yourself.  Judging the intensity and pacing without feeling it in your own body is tricky.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, the important thing is that I'm making progress.  Every day I am just filled with gratitude for this journey I'm on.

2 comments:

  1. Practice is an anchor in life when it starts to get busy, I think making time for it is so important.

    Great that you can practice on Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find your post inspiring. In fact, this whole blog seems to speak to me :) I appreciate your honesty with your struggles and your achievements.

    ReplyDelete