Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Stabilization Mode

Another month has gone by...

Time seems to be flowing so quickly lately, it's hard to get my bearings.  There has been so much change that I don't know where to start.  So I don't.  If any of you out there still check this space, thank you for that.  I appreciate it more than you know.

So why don't I begin with what is constant and what this blog is all about?... yoga.  Always, yoga.

I got on my mat this morning and had a beautiful home practice that swelled to over 2 hours.  I haven't done that since before the layoff.  And it was beautiful not because of the poses but because I did it just for me.  I carved out that time.  I didn't take notes so that I cold prep a sequence to teach.  It was exactly what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it - like a gift.  That was the beauty.

So did I tell you I passed my teacher training?  Yup.  I got a 100% on the take-home final, the same on the in-class practical, and a 99% on the in-class written.  I'm teaching a Power Yoga class and a Hatha Yoga class at Total Woman now (a gym) and I'll have two classes on the schedule when the Hot Yoga place near my house opens up next month.  That will make four.  I'd like a few more, but for the time being those are perfect.

Teaching has been so surprisingly rewarding.  With over ten years experience leading group exercise classes and as a personal trainer in my past, I'm feeling a comfort and confidence in teaching yoga that I think I wouldn't have otherwise.  Obviously, I have a lifetime of ways to learn and grow as a teacher, but I feel so gratified to have started off on such a good foot.  In a way, I have the layoff to thank for that.  If it wasn't for Steve losing his job, I would never have propelled myself into the marketplace so quickly.  I'm grateful for the nudge.

The challenge has been carving out time for my own practice.  Teaching takes time.  All of my greeter shifts at YogaWorks take time.  Driving to those things takes time.  At the end of the day, I'm exhausted.  Plus these past two months I've covered more shifts and classes than I can count because, frankly, Steve and I need the money.  But after the holidays finally wind down, I'm going to see what things I can change/free up in my schedule.  Just fitting in practice around everything else and skipping days here and there is taking a toll.  It's not what I want.  If I can't practice, what is the point of this whole journey anyway?  No, my practice will move front and center come the new year - that's my promise to myself.

I feel like when Steve first got laid off we went into crisis-management mode.  For a few months, it was all about survival and how best to put one foot in front of the other on a sometimes hourly basis.  Now we're more in a stabilization mode.  We've gotten over the initial shock and loss and we've trimmed the fat wherever possible.  We're getting by.  Things aren't like they were before but we've settled into a new normal and life isn't all bad.  The next step will be to make changes to see what we can improve upon.  That's where we're headed in the new year.

The more and more we talk about it, the more likely it seems we're going to bid our house adieu and move into an apartment closer to town.  It just makes sense.  The hours and hours we both spend driving every day are taking a toll on us, on our cars, and on our time together.  Not to mention, the little time we do have is spent tending to the upkeep of the house, the yard, the pool.  The name of the game is SIMPLIFY and I think that's the direction we're heading next year.  And that supports my goal to make sure I get on my mat six days per week.  Less time spent on the road or doing chores means more time and energy for me and my yoga.

I'll stop here because this is already long enough, but now you know the gist of what's up with me.  I hope you're enjoying your holidays.  My plan is to write again before too much time elapses.  Once again, thank you for being here.

1 comment:

  1. Finding time for your own practice is what really counts.
    Good luck with the house hunting

    ReplyDelete